Fronts: Seasonal Max Values
- Title: Fronts: Seasonal Max Values
- Geospatial_Data_Presentation_Form: raster digital data
Original data source: NOAA CoastWatch
- Fronts play an important role in upper ocean processes. Fronts can impact ocean fisheries, for example, by influencing the spatial distribution of biological productivity and by controlling the accumulation of marine debris, which serves as a beacon to higher trophic levels. The NOAA CoastWatch Oceanic Front Probability Index measures the probability of sea surface temperature front formation based on data from NOAA's GOES satellites. This dataset represents seasonal 'max' values of ocean fronts (2012, 2013) and were generated using fronts probability data available from CoastWatch. The data were processed to monthy rasters, then computed into composites representing seasonal maximum values. The seasons are as follows: Winter- January, February, December; Spring- March, April, May; Summer- June, July, August. Fall- September, October, November.
The Oceanic Front Probability Index is an EXPERIMENTAL dataset, distributed for scientific evaluation. The source dataset by NOAA CoastWatch is based on sea surface temperature (SST) data; daily SST averages were calculated, then an edge detection algorithm was applied to identify fronts. The index for front probability was then calculated using the number of times a pixel is counted as a front divided by cloud free days for the time period. This helps to eliminate days in which the fronts are masked out by clouds. NOAA CoastWatch accepts no liability for use of these data products. NOT to be used for navigation.
PLEASE REFER TO METADATA SUPPORTING THE ORGINAL DATA USED FOR THE SEASONAL COMPILATIONS, PLEASE REFER TO SOURCE DOCUMENTATION AT NOAA CoastWatch: <http://coastwatch.noaa.gov> ; Data Summary: <http://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/infog/GA_tfnt_las.html>
The data were compiled by the Grant F. Walton Center for Remote Sensing and Spatial Analysis (CRSSA), Rutgers University, in support of the MARCO Portal activities, more specifically, for oceanography themed data visualization.
- West_Bounding_Coordinate: -83.280472
- East_Bounding_Coordinate: -64.410968
- North_Bounding_Coordinate: 47.052558
- South_Bounding_Coordinate: 28.156081
- Theme_Keyword_Thesaurus: ISO 19115 Topic Category
- Theme_Keyword: oceans, fronts
- Place_Keyword_Thesaurus: None
- Place_Keyword: Atlantic Ocean, United States east coast
- Temporal_Keyword_Thesaurus: None
- Temporal_Keyword: Winter Season: January, February, December
Temporal_Keyword: Spring Season: March, April, May
Temporal_Keyword: Summer Season: June, July, August
Temporal_Keyword: Fall Season: September, October, November
- Access_Constraints: None
Compiled for the purposes of data visualization; for original data, please refer to NOAA CoastWatch (<http://coastwatch.noaa.gov>).
Original data provided by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) CoastWatch, NOAA National Ocean Service (NOS), NOAA National Weather Service (NWS); data processed for seasonal compilation by the Grant F. Walton Center for Remote Sensing and Spatial Analysis (CRSSA), Rutgers University
Microsoft Windows 7 Version 6.1 (Build 7601) Service Pack 1; Esri ArcGIS 10.2.0.3348
- Title: ERDDAP: Front Probability, Monthly Composite Data Access Form
- Type_of_Source_Media: onLine
- Source_Citation_Abbreviation: ERDDAP: Front Probability, Monthly Composite Data Access Form
- Source_Contribution: NOAA Coastwatch: ERDDAP: Ocean Front Probability Index
- Direct_Spatial_Reference_Method: Vector
- Entity_Type_Label: VAT_f_npp_mx_13
- Attribute_Label: VALUE
- Attribute_Label: COUNT
- Attribute_Label: OBJECTID
- Attribute_Definition: Internal feature number.
- Attribute_Definition_Source: Esri
Sequential unique whole numbers that are automatically generated.
- Metadata_Date: 20160218
Processing of NOAA data by season under the direction of Richard G. Lathrop: Grant F. Walton Center for Remote Sensing and Spatial Analysis (CRSSA), Rutgers University
- Address_Type: physical
- Address: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- City: New Brunswick
- State_or_Province: New Jersey
- Postal_Code: 08901
- Country: US
- Contact_Electronic_Mail_Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Metadata_Standard_Name: FGDC Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata
- Metadata_Standard_Version: FGDC-STD-001-1998
- Metadata_Time_Convention: local time
This dataset is not to be used for navigation.
For analysis, please refer to the original NOAA CoastWatch data in NetCDF GIS data format.
Applies to seasonal data compilation (ORIGINAL DATA UTILIZED NOAA COASTWATCH DISSEMINATED DATA):
Generated by mp version 2.9.12 on Tue Feb 23 11:59:49 2016